Occupational Tax – Business License

Home - Occupational Tax – Business License

New Businesses
All  business wishing to operate within Butts County, including the City of Jackson and City of Jenkinsburg, must be examined for zoning designation compliance by the Community Development Department.  The Zoning Compliance letter will be forwarded to the Occupational Tax-Business License Division, upon approval of allowed use of property.  A successful completion of this step will allow an applicant to acquire an “Occupational Tax – Business License application.

Zoning Pre-Clearance Application
Click here to download a Zoning Pre-Clearance Application.  Please submit, in-person, the completed application to the Board of Commissioner’s Office located at 625 W. Third Street, Suite 4, Jackson, GA.  Each applicant will be required to show proof all taxes are paid or current before services can be rendered.  This information can be obtained from the local Tax Commissioner’s Office.  The Zoning Pre Clearance Application fee is $25.00.

Occupational Tax – Business License / License Renewals
Any person conducting business, via sales or services which originate and operate within Butts County is required to obtain a Business License and pay an Occupational Tax.  It is the responsibility of the business owner to maintain a current and active Business License and Occupational Tax Certificate.

Business Commencement Application Packet
Click here to download the Business Commencement Application Packet.   Submit, in-person, the completed application to the Board of Commissioner’s Office along with proof from the local Tax Commissioner’s Office verifying  all taxes are paid or current.   All fees will be due when the application is turned in.  Please refer to  the application for the business license fee chart.

Download and/or print permit

  • Permit for AsbestosLead Based Paint inspection, testing and removal services.
  • Building Permit Permit for general construction of all building work excluding mechanical, electrical and plumbing work.
  • Demolition PermitPermit for general construction demolition of buildings and structures after all evidence of asbestos and lead-based paint have been totally removed.
  • Electrical Connection Permit Permit for all electrical work including the installation of a new electrical service, service upgrade or relocation, new circuits or extensions to existing circuits,  fixed appliances, and equipment connections.
  • HVAC PermitPermit for mechanical work including the installation and repair of heating, ventilating, cooling and refrigeration systems.
  • Low Voltage PermitPermit for electrical work classified as low voltage, i.e. security systems, fire systems, etc.
  • Plumbing PermitPermit for plumbing work including the installation, removal, alteration, or replacement of any plumbing fixture, gas, water, or drainage piping work, or water heating equipment.
  • Swimming Pool Permit Permit for installation of new swimming pools and fence and gate systems.
  • Sign Permit –  Permit for installation of new sign.
  • Land Disturbance Permit Policy Handbook


**Permits Are Not Required for the Following:

  • Cosmetic clean-up work
  • Cosmetic painting, wall, floor, interior and exterior repairs
  • Fences not over 6 feet high
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall