Jamaal Hicks, Code Enforcement Officer

125 W. McIntosh Street
Milledgeville, GA 31061
(478) 414-4000

  • Violation of Ordinances

    All ordinances carry a penalty of fines not to exceed $1,000 per day that you are in violation of an ordinance. Penalties may also include imprisonment not to exceed six months and/or community service assignments not to exceed 12 months.

Code Enforcement monitors compliance to local ordinances and regulations pertaining to nuisance abatement for issues including, but not limited to:

  • Herbie Curbie enforcement
  • Non-functioning vehicles
  • Non-functioning vehicles
  • Herbie Curbie enforcement

Ordinances Enforced by Code Enforcement


A clean property is a safe property! It is unlawful to litter upon public and private property. Every owner, occupant or tenant of any property shall keep their property clear of filth, trash, noxious growth, unsightly matter and weeds or grasses shall not exceed ten inches in height. An unsightly yard, porch, and premises affects your neighborhood and the entire City. It is your responsibility to keep your yard cleaned of all debris and unsightly matter.

Yard Debris

Residential yard debris such as leaves, grass clippings, straw, small yard and garden clippings and other similar items shall be placed on the curb for collection by the City of Milledgeville. The City will not collect trees or byproducts of trees that have been removed or trimmed by a tree removal service.

Bulk Item Pick-up

Removal of large household items such as couches and/or old appliances must be scheduled for pick-up. If you desire curbside pickup for bulk items, please call (478) 414-4021. There will be a $10.00 charge per item.

Noise Restrictions

Next to carelessly discarded trash, noise is the one thing that will cause the most difficulty with your neighbors. If your sound (music, voice, party noise, etc.) can be heard within the following distances, you could be in violation of the noise ordinance:

Within 300 feet from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 7 a.m. through midnight on Friday and Saturday

Within 100 feet from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. on Sunday through Thursday and midnight through 7a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Residential Parking

Many neighborhoods surrounding the Historic District have permitted parking zones. It is illegal to park in these residential parking zones unless you have a valid parking permit. To obtain a parking permit, you will need to submit proof of residency to the Milledgeville Police Department and a permit will be issued to you.

Herbie Curbies

Herbie Curbies are to be used to dispose of common household trash and garbage only. Herbie Curbies shall be placed at the curb of your residence no later than 8 a.m. on the pick-up day designated by Advanced Disposal and shall be returned to the side or rear of the property no later than 7 p.m. on the pick-up day. For information on your pick-up date(s), please call Advanced Disposal at (478) 453-4435.

Single-Family Districts

It is unlawful for more than three (3) unrelated residents to occupy a home within a Single-Family District. It is also unlawful to have a fraternity and/or sorority house in any zoning district unless that home has acquired a Special Use Permit. To verify the zoning district for any property, you may call (478) 414-4021.

Posting of Signs

It is unlawful for any person to place posters, signs or advertisements within the right-of-way of any public streets, roads or highways. This includes posting of such signs on telephone poles, electrical poles, stop signs, etc.

Historic District

If you live within the Historic District, there are specific guidelines that are applicable to this area. Before any outside work can be performed on a property, including installation of fences, signage, banners, etc., an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness must be completed. Fraternities and sororities must ensure that their location has been zoned for Special Use and a Certificate of Appropriateness has been completed prior to hanging or displaying any Greek organization related signs, banners, sheets, etc.

Applications for a Certificate of Appropriateness can be obtained from the City’s website at www.milledgevillega.us. There will be a $50.00 charge for the placement of temporary banners, sheets, etc.

OFFICIAL PUBLIC NOTICE - Effective May 18, 2020: The Business Office is now open to the public.